More About Our Department

The Department of Rehabilitation Psychology and Special Education (RPSE) offers the Bachelor of Science in Special Education and in Rehabilitation Psychology, Master of Science in Rehabilitation Counseling, Master of Science in Special Education, Doctor of Philosophy in Rehabilitation Counselor Education, and Doctor of Philosophy in Special Education. 

Employment opportunities following graduation include positions in elementary and secondary schools; public and private educational, rehabilitation, and mental health agencies; colleges and universities; and research settings.

The master’s degree program in Rehabilitation ​Counseling is accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP). Graduates also meet the educational qualifications for the national Certified Rehabilitation Counselor (CRC) credential and are eligible to apply for the training license for the Professional Counselor credential in Wisconsin and a number of other states. For a description of the profession and practice of rehabilitation counseling, please read the entry by Professor Norm Berven in the 2008 Encyclopedia of Counseling.

The department serves students from across the nation and around the world and is a national and international leader in preparing professionals to serve in university teaching, research, and program administration positions as evidenced by the routine placement of PhD graduates in major universities and colleges as well as the publication and professional records of its faculty and graduates. Faculty members work closely with graduate students in research and scholarship activities. In addition, faculty routinely involve students in a full array of professional activities such as the review of papers for journal publications, application for research and training grants, design of training materials, preparation of materials for civil rights litigation, and involvement in clinical cases.

Limited financial support is available to qualified graduate students and may include traineeships, teaching assistantships, and research/project assistantships.