405 Education Building
1000 Bascom Mall
Madison, WI 53706
David A. Rosenthal, Ph.D., CRC is a Professor and Rehabilitation Psychology Area Chair in the Department of Rehabilitation Psychology and Special Education. He served as Associate Dean of Curriculum and International Affairs in the School of Education from 2012-2016. He served as Chair of the Department of Rehabilitation Psychology and Special Education from 2007-2011. Prior to joining the faculty at UW-Madison in 2002, Professor Rosenthal was an assistant professor at the Pennsylvania State University for three years (1994-1997) and the University of Wisconsin-Stout for five years (Department Chair, 2000-2002). Dr. Rosenthal attained his PhD at the University of Wisconsin -Madison in the Department of Rehabilitation Psychology in 1993. He has worked as a rehabilitation counselor, vocational placement specialist, a vocational consultant in the private sector, an expert witness in workers’ compensation litigations, and a special educator/program director. Dr. Rosenthal has over 60 published articles and chapters pertaining to rehabilitation psychology. He has been awarded several research and training grants funded by the Rehabilitation Services Administration (RSA) and the National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research (NIDRR) with PI or Co-PI status equaling over seven million dollars. Some of Dr. Rosenthal’s primary areas of interest and research include supported employment, psychiatric rehabilitation, clinical judgment and decision making in rehabilitation counseling, clinical bias, cross cultural and diversity issues, disability management, and international rehabilitation. Dr. Rosenthal served as a Commissioner or as Chair of the Commission for the Certification of Disability Management Specialists (CDMSC) from 2000 to 2010. He also served as an elected officer on the Executive Council of the American Rehabilitation Counseling Association (ARCA), chairing the Council on Professional Preparation and Standards (2000-2003). Dr. Rosenthal was the recipient of the 1999 American Rehabilitation Counseling Association (ARCA) Research Award, the 2001-2002 Rehabilitation Research Distinguished Fellow Award from the National Institute of Disability and Rehabilitation Research (NIDRR), the UW-Stout Outstanding Researcher Award in 2001, and was awarded the National Council on Rehabilitation Education (NCRE) 2005 Rehabilitation Educator of the Year Award. He recently received the prestigious George Wright Varsity Award for his outstanding contributions to the field of Rehabilitation Psychology.
- Ph D Rehabilitation Counseling Psychology, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1993
- MS Rehabilitation Counseling Psychology, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1989
- BS Comprehensive Special Education, University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, 1978
- Brickham, D., Yaghmaian, R., Morrison, B., Rosenthal, D. A., & Tang, X. (In Press). Mitigating Counselor Trainee Stress and Burnout through Self Care Initiatives in RC Programs. Rehabilitation Research, Policy, and Education
- Lor Na Tu, W., & Rosenthal, D. A. (2018). International Partnerships in Rehabilitation Counseling: Challenges and Opportunities. Australian Journal of Rehabilitation Counseling, 31-38.
- Sánchez, J., Rosenthal, D. A., Tansey, T., Frain, M. P., & Bezyak, J. (2016). Predicting the quality of life in adults with severe mental illness: Extending the International Classification of Functioning, Disability, and Health. Rehabilitation Psychology, 61, 19-31.
- Sánchez, J., Rosenthal, D. A., Chan, F., Brooks, J., & Bezyak, J. (2016). Relationships between World Health Organization ICF Constructs and Participation in Adults with Severe Mental Illness. Rehabilitation Research, Policy, and Education, 30(3), 286-304.
- Brickham, D., Kim, J., Gonzales, R., & Rosenthal, D. A. (2016). Vocational Rehabilitation Outcomes for People with Alcohol Abuse/Dependence. Journal of Vocational Rehabilitation, 45, 267-279.
- Zheng, X., Keegan, J., & Rosenthal, D. A. (2016). Examining the Attribution Model of Discrimination toward People with Mental Illness among Chinese University Students. The Australian Journal of Rehabilitation Counseling, 1-11.
- Leahy, M., Chan, F., Lui, J., Rosenthal, D. A., Tansey, T., Wehman, P., Kundu, M., Dutta, A., Anderson, C., Del Valle, R., Sherman, S., & Menz, M. (2014). An analysis of evidence-based best practices in the public vocational rehabilitation program: Gaps, future directions, and recommended steps to move forward. Journal of Vocational Rehabilitation, 41, 147-163.
- Rosenthal, D. A., Hiatt, E., Anderson, C., Hartman, E., & Wilson, M. (2012). Facilitators and barriers to integrated employment: Results of focus group analysis. Journal of Vocational Rehabilitation, 36, 73-86.
- Gonzalez, R., Rosenthal, D. A., & Kim, J. H. (2011). Predicting vocational rehabilitation outcomes of young adults with learning disabilities. Journal of Vocational Rehabilitation, 34(3), 163-172.
- Bezyak, J., Kubota, C., & Rosenthal, D. A. (2010). Evidence-based Practice in Rehabilitation Counseling: Perceptions and Practices.. Rehabilitation Education, 24(1-2), 85-95.
- Rosenthal, D. A., Wilson, M., & Hiatt, E. Facilitators and barriers to integrated employment: Results of a focus group analysis. Annual National Council on Rehabilitation Education (NCRE) Rehabilitation Educators Conference, San Francisco, CA.
- Rosenthal, D. A., & Hartman, E. The use of motivational interviewing with older adults with disabilities. Aging and Disability Resource Center Administrators, Wisconsin Dells, WI.
- Rosenthal, D. A., & Wang, C. Evidence-based supported employment: a meta-analysis. Annual National Council on Rehabilitation Education (NCRE) Rehabilitation Educators Conference, San Diego, CA.
- Beck, M., Lui, J., & Rosenthal, D. A. The Paths to Employment Resource Center (PERC). UW-Stout Vocational Rehabilitation Institute’s Bi-Annual Conference, Menomonie, WI.
- Lui, J., Rosenthal, D. A., & Hursh, N. The effects of workplace disability management programs and other variables: A meta-analysis. International Forum on Disability Management, Los Angeles, CA.
- Lui, J., Hursh, N., & Rosenthal, D. A. The maturation of disability management as a profession: Adopting and adapting best practices. International Forum on Disability Management, Los Angeles, CA.
- Rosenthal, D. A., Quick, E., & Henderson, M. Health and productivity in the workforce: Trends and implications for disability management practitioners. Health Productivity Institute Seminar, Chicago, IL.
- Rosenthal, D. A., & Larkin, V. Improving outcomes for Individuals with disabilities through enhancing cultural competencies. Division of Workforce Development, Madison, WI.
- Rosenthal, D. A., Quick, E., & Henderson, M. What human capital do you have managing your human capital programs? National Conference on Health Productivity and Human Capital, San Diego, CA.
- Rosenthal, D. A. Improving outcomes for individuals with disabilities from traditionally underserved racial and ethnic populations. Michigan State University-The College of Education, East Lansing, MI.
Select Awards and Honors
- ARCA Research Award, American Rehabilitation Counseling Association, 2017
- George Wright Varsity Award, 2017
- Rehabilitation Researcher of the Year, National Council on Rehabilitation Education (NCRE), 2005
- Distinguished Fellowship-Switzer Fellow., NIDRR, (2001–2002)
- Outstanding Researcher Award, University of Wisconsin-Stout, (2001–2002)
- Invited delegation leader - Rehabilitation Counseling Delegation to the People's Republic of China., People to People Ambassadors, 2000
- Research Award, American Rehabilitation Counseling Association, 2000
- Outstanding Teacher, University of Wisconsin-Stout, College of Human Development, (1998–1999)