Medical imaging Carillon Tower Glass blowing Laptop and lecture A smiling student Sunrise over the Education Building Chairs on the Memorial Union Terrace Bascom hall staircase Graduating students in silhouette Crowd of people on Bascom Hill A student tutoring Student with diploma Dance Department performance Night view of Bascom in the winter Memorial Union Terrace in autumn Memorial Union Terrace chairs Dance department performance Bucky Badger in front of a parade float Bascom Hall in the summertime Lincoln statue Students walking in the snow University of Wisconsin - Madison Crest Lincoln statue in the snow Forward Logo Student at graduation Bicycle in the snow Rathskellar Fireplace Sailboat with Capitol Building in the background A sailboat at the Memorial Union Bascom Hill in Autumn Bucky Badger studying with a student. Students among blooming trees at UW-Madison Bucky reading a book University flag on Bascom Hill Video camera view screen Student on a frozen lake Lincoln Statue on Bascom Hill Bascom Hill in winter Students collaborating Memorial Union Terrace chairs in the snow Kohl Center logo Graduates with diplomas A hands-on project Stacked, illuminated figures View from the top of Van Hise


Main Office

Department of Rehabilitation Psychology & Special Education
School of Education
Education Building
1000 Bascom Mall, Rm. 431
MadisonWI  53706

Tel: 608/263.5970
Fax: 608/263.5970

Email: rpseinfo@education.wisc.edu
or by contact form


Special Education

Students completing Special Education degree and certification requirements earn cross-categorical certification Middle Childhood through Early Adolescence and Early Adolescence through Adolescence and are eligible to apply for a teaching license in the State of Wisconsin (license number 801-code 72, and license number 80-code 73).

Students completing the Special Education-Elementary Education Dual Major degree and certification requirements earn cross-categorical Special Education certification and Elementary Education certification at the Middle Childhood through Early Adolescence level. Graduates are eligible to apply for Wisconsin teaching licenses number 801-code 72, and 777-code 72.  

Certification and Licensing Application Process
Students apply for the teaching license late in the semester ​they plan to finish ​the program.

 Step one: Notify Education Academic Services that you intend to apply for your license by filling out the License Endorsement Request.

 Step two:  Fill out a license application through the ELO (Educator Licensing Online) system.

Rehabilitation Counseling and Rehabilitation Counselor Education

Doctoral Program

The doctoral program in Rehabilitation Counselor Education prepares  Ph.D. professionals to serve in leadership positions in university teaching, research, and program administration. The doctoral program is not APA accredited.

Master's Program
The Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP) accredits the master’s degree program in rehabilitation counseling, and graduates are eligible for national certification as a Certified Rehabilitation Counselor (CRC) through the Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification (CRCC). Master's students generally take the Certified Rehabilitation Counselor (CRC) Exam in their final semester of the master's program.

In addition, graduates meet the educational requirements for state certification and licensure in a number of states, including the Professional Counselor in Training license in Wisconsin.

© 2019 Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System • Please contact the School of Education External Relations Office with questions, issues or comments about this site.